Tuesday, September 8, 2009

How We Met <3 <3 <3

I knew my husband's older brother for months, maybe even a year before I met Husband. We all met at an, ahem, bar that I worked at. Actually I worked at a couple bars his brother frequented. He and I would shoot the shit and talk shit about the other people there. It was all in good fun and funny that he never mentioned having a brother until lo and behold one day there's a cute, slightly younger guy at the bar with him. "Hey this is my little brother, he's in the Army and he's home from Iraq," Husband's Brother says. "CUTE," I think. Husband was interested and gave me his number written on a bar napkin before he left that afternoon... I saw him a couple more times before his leave was up and he had to go back to Iraq but we never got to go on an actual date. He was busy visiting friends and family and I was working 60+ hours a week.

His smile was ingrained in my head and even now I often still think about the way he smiled over the bar at me and my knees went weak and I melted into a mush puddle in the middle of a bar in the middle of a weekday afternoon.

He made it a point to keep in touch with me. He Instant Messaged me and texted me. He called me a couple times and I fell in love with his voice. His voice is thick and velvet-y and I couldn't even tell you what we talked about because all I was paying attention to was his voice.

We met in late August or early September. By mid November he was asking me what I wanted for my birthday, which sometimes falls on Thanksgiving. I told him I wanted a day off work or a new paid or boots. He couldn't get me a day off work from my many jobs and he was relentless about getting me the boots I wanted. I didn't actually think I'd get them but there they were a week or two later!! His wanting to do something for my birthday even though he was so far away really cemented our bond. It wasn't that he bought me something..its that he wanted to do it.

From then on we were inseparable as long as his Internet in Iraq held out. We'd Instant Message and text through my phone for hours at a time. I'd feel butterflies everytime my phone would chime with a message. I'd hide in the bar bathroom just to talk to him. Eventually we became a couple and just before Christmas he started asking me to marry him. I thought he was looney bin crazy at first. He kept trying though and by Christmas we were "engaged." We knew we'd be together and even though there was no ring yet I didn't care. I just knew.

He got back from Iraq in March and I met him in Virginia. We shared our first kiss in a room filled with people but I don't remember hearing anything but our breathing. It really was like the cheesey cliche' that time stopped. It felt right and even though I just said it, I'll say it again: I just knew. We were married two weeks later.

Almost five months later I found out I was pregnant. My being pregnant really is a miracle. I'll tell you why later.

No comments:

Post a Comment